Main / Books / The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Fine art of Racing in the Rain

By Garth Stein, A tearjerker about a race machine commuter and his canis familiaris


Brief Summary
Detailed Summary
Read it or Skip It?

I always programme on reading books before the picture show comes out, but this time I actually did it, yay! The picture show adaptation of Garth Stein's The Art of Racing north the Rain is being released on August 9th.

I love Marley & Me, another movie virtually dogs and life (plus Jennifer Aniston is awesome in it), and so I'yard planning on seeing this 1 likewise. This isn't generally the blazon of volume I similar, but I thought I'd give this a shot anyway.

Plot Summary

For the Detailed Plot Summary, click here or ringlet all the manner down.

The Art of Racing in the Pelting is narrated past Enzo. Enzo is a dog who was adopted past a race car commuter, Denny. When the book opens, Enzo is near the end of his life. He narrates the story almost his life with Denny, plus Denny's wife Eve and daughter Zoe, and everything that's happened in their time together.

It's a story almost beloved, loss, triumphs, grief, family, hardships and of course racing.

See The Art of Racing in the Rain on Amazon.

Book Review

From the very starting time chapter, the book sets forth the unproblematic, dizzying love Enzo (the dog) has for Denny and the uncomplicated, boundless dear that Denny has for Enzo. You also observe out that Eve, Denny's wife, has passed abroad, so that should give you some sense of where there story is going.

I went into this knowing it would be a piddling sappy and the dog-narrator matter was too gimmicky for my tastes and mentally prepared myself to just let it get and savour the story. Simply the questionable aspects of this book went beyond all that, and they just kept piling up.

For starters, this book shot so far past just being sappy that it started to edge into seeming emotionally manipulative.

From the sentimentality of a canis familiaris-narrated story, to the expressionless wife (this is not a spoiler, we find this out in the first few pages), to the plainly unfair and outrageous state of affairs that Denny finds himself in, to the two-dimensional villains in the story, to the helpless petty daughter whose only want is to see her canis familiaris and her begetter, to the highs and lows of motorcar racing. The book isn't and so much trying to tug at your heartstrings as it is desperately yanking at them in a deranged fervor.

I also would've enjoyed the parts virtually racing more, except in it insists on transforming most of those parts into metaphors for extremely trite life lessons and platitudes. Learning to conceptualize movements in the car is turned into a truism nearly embracing your own destiny, that sort of affair. Or when the book (or rather, a philosophizing dog) makes the point that in racing you have to proceed going even when things get tough, merely like in life, it's all so overwhelmingly obvious.

Instead of having any type of character growth or depth (they're all ii-dimensional static characters), the book simply offers upwards cliche after cliche in terms of the characters, the plot and any blazon of insight information technology has to offering.

The plot contrivances in this book are numerous as well. For case, there's 2 fortuitous occurrences, both of which occur every bit nakedly Deus Ex Machina-esque events. In both instances, it'due south an overly convenient way for Denny to deal with certain problems. (If you've read the book, I'm referring to Lucca and the scene with the father.)

Also, I didn't get the point of the whole dog-narrator gimmick or why information technology was used for the story. In that location's a number of parts where it made no sense for him to characterize, like scenes in a infirmary or a court. And, for a dog, he seems very concerned with women'south breasts. Shouldn't he have an equal interest in male reproductive parts? Funny how that works.

There'south also some extremely problematic issues involving one of the plotlines. Most notably it perpetuates thought that women constantly prevarication most sexual assault. I won't go into it, since I don't want to spoil annihilation, only that'south probably what sealed this book'southward fate for me.

Anyway, I told myself I'd say at least i prissy matter, so I'll add that the book is not without it's charms. Even knowing I wasn't into it, there were a few parts that made me smile. When Enzo makes his opinion articulate by peeing all over a ready of papers, I had to admit that was a pretty skilful scene. I'm betting that (or some variation of it) ends up in the movie.

If Enzo had spent more time doing stuff similar that and less time spouting truisms and ogling women's breasts, I probably would take had more enthusiasm for this book.

The Art of Racing In the Rain Pic Accommodation

As mentioned higher up, The Art of Racing In the Rain will be released in theaters on August 9, 2019. Milo Ventimiglia stars as Denny with Amanda Seyfried as Eve. You can follow its reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB.

When it comes to the movie, the thing I'chiliad most curious nigh is the girl who lies most being assaulted. I'g curious if this ends up in the picture show, since in a post-#metoo world this narrative may not be received well. I guess we'll find out before long enough.

art of racing in the rain

Read it or Skip information technology?

Clearly, I wasn't all that into The Fine art of Racing in the Rain. Part of it was that I wasn't the right reader for this volume, simply I too retrieve many of the issues run deeper than that.

Notwithstanding, if yous like somewhat sentimental tearjerker-type books, you'll probably be able to encounter past a lot of the things that bugged me near this story.

For everyone else, I'd propose just watching the movie. My estimate is that the moving-picture show is going to be charming and round out a lot of things that I didn't like about the book. So, fifty-fifty though I didn't love the book, I know I'll exist watching the motion-picture show at some point. Marley & Me is a movie that I adore, so I'm inclined to give this movie a gamble too.

Are you guys going to exist watching this movie, reading this book or none of the above? See The Fine art of Racing in the Rain on Amazon.


Detailed Volume Summary (Spoilers)